Popular American actor and film director; Danny Glover was at the African Film Market; a Black Star International Film Festival 2019 event, to show support to the festival.
During his brief stay at the event, Mr. Glover took the opportunity to share some thoughts with the participants. Amongst other things, he encouraged African filmmakers to tell stories that Africans (both in and outside Africa) identify with and also to collaborate with fellow filmmakers from other African countries. He said, ‘Wakanda may be a great vision, but what about the great Ashanti Kingdom?’
He also expressed excitement at seeing young filmmakers gathered to enhance their careers and ‘make a difference’ in the industry.
The event, held at the Oak Plaza Hotel (East Airport) on 22nd August 2019 provided a platform for filmmakers, distributors, investors and other stakeholders of the film industry to meet, learn, network and do business. It was attended by several people of different nationalities.
The subjects discussed at the panel sessions include were:
– Mawuko Kuadzi (Casting Director and CEO of MK Casting),
– Cecil Sunkwa (MD of Multichoice Ghana)
– Dr. Chidia Maduekwe (MD of Nigerian Film Commission)
– Juliet Asante (CEO of Eagle Productions and Founding President of BSIFF)
– Christian Epps (Founder of Light, Camera, Diaspora)
– Aaron Olayemi (Head of VAS, Mobile and Digital Content Distribution Anglophone West Africa at TRACE)
– Funmi Onoma (Country Manager of Silverbird Cinemas, Ghana)
– Honeil Jelani Nelson (Founding President and CEO of Atlanta Blackstar)
– Donisha Prendergast (Filmmaker, Storyteller and Activist)
– Eugene Odame (Business of Film lecturer at the National Film and Television Institute)
– Roberta Annan (Co-Founder and Managing Partner of the Impact Fund for African Creatives)