The Black Star International Film Festival (BSIFF) is a not-for-profit festival that seeks to create global connections through film and help bridge the gap between African cinema and the world. The festival is now accepting submissions for its 2021 edition. Deadline for submissions is 31 March 2021.
Focused on the business of film and industry advocacy, the festival is committed to giving you the best development experience and networking opportunities. BSIFF provides a platform to meet with fellow filmmakers, talents, and distributors, and attend daily workshops and panels designed to broaden your understanding of all aspects of the film industry.
BSIFF’s home is Accra, the capital of Ghana. BSIFF offers cultural experiences to all festival participants to showcase the wonders of Ghana.
Award Categories for BSIFF include:
– Best Documentary
– Best Feature film: Should be a minimum of 60 min.
– Best Short Film: Film should be less than 60 min.
– Best Student Film: This category is set to award student filmmakers thus, the film must be made entirely by students. Evidence of a student card and an email confirmation from a head of the department is a must.
– Best Women in Film: Film must have a predominantly female crew. Either the Producer, Director, Cinematographer, and/or Writer must be a woman. Any three of the above.
– Best Animation: An animated film from any part of the world.
– Africa Rising: Film that connects to the special story of Africa and stories that highlight special issues peculiar to the continent of Africa.
– The ‘Odehye3’: To award the next generation of Ghanaian filmmakers. Films must have predominantly Ghanaian crew. Either the Producer, Director, Cinematographer, and/or Writer must be Ghanaian.
– Best Music Video (New): To award music videos worldwide, that have strong story-telling, conceptualization, and film production. We accept music video submissions from all over the world. Music Videos must be under 10 minutes and from any year regardless of budget, popularity, or language.
Source: Ladima Foundation