Film submissions into the 7th annual Black Star International Film Festival, running from September 20 to 25th, 2022, are closed. Thank you to everyone who submitted their projects.
Submissions for the 8th edition of BSIFF will open November 2022 till February 2023.
Submission categories for the 8th edition:
- Feature Film
- Short Fiction Film
- Documentary Film
- Student Film
- Animated Film
- :The 'Odehye3
- Best African Film
- Music Film (Music Video)
- Best Screenplay
- Best Cinematography
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
- Best Editing
To be eligible for consideration:
No film that has had any public screening in Ghana or is available on any online platform can be submitted to the festival. Your film must have a premiere status at BSIFF. Premiere Status films are those films that have not had the first screening of any kind on TV, in theatres, or any other film festival in Ghana.
Films submitted must be completed between 2021-2023. Any film created before the year 2021 will not be accepted.
Non-English language works must have English subtitles at the time submitted. Dialogue lists will not be accepted.
Early-bird entry fee for projects submitted from now until January 15th 2023 is $20 (US dollars). After January 15th, submission fees will be $25 until February 28th, 2023.
Students can submit at an early-bird fee of $5.
Regardless of your method of entry, the Festival MUST receive all entry materials no later than the applicable deadlines referenced. The Festival reserves the right to disqualify any submission, without refund of any kind, if it is not completed in accordance with these Entry Rules and Regulations.
Note: It is your sole responsibility to ensure that your entry is properly submitted
Invited filmmakers will be notified by email or phone via the information provided on the submitted entry form. It is the filmmaker's responsibility to make sure to update the Festival with new contact information.
The Festival reserves the right to rescind the invitation at any time without prior notice or obligation to the filmmaker.
If your work is selected, you must fulfill the following requirements by the date(s) designated by the Festival:
By submitting your film, you:
(i) accept responsibility for obtaining any and all permissions and clearances necessary to exhibit your film at BSIFF i.e., Music clearances, interview and location permits, clearances for news footage, photos, etc,
(ii) warrant that you have the rights necessary to exhibit your film at BSIFF
(iii) indemnify and hold harmless the Black Star International festival, its parent company, its affiliates, and subsidiaries, and any of their respective directors, officers, employees, and representatives against any claim arising out of the exhibition of your film.
You must deliver to the address(es) designated by the Festival: Should we mention Film Freeway here?
(i) one (1) digital exhibition copy (technical specifications must be confirmed by the Festival in advance of the invited work
The required exhibition format is-XXXXs and d. Delivery date deadlines will be confirmed by the Festival after invitations have been extended and confirmed. Please check in with the Festival staff before creating your Festival exhibition copy or copies to ensure the format and technical specifications are correct.
You must provide a properly completed and signed official BSIFF "Film Information Form” including all press and publication assets as specified in the “Materials Checklist” (the “Film Information Form” and “Materials Checklist” will be provided by the Festival).
You must provide a downloadable DCP link of the final, completed film for Festival archives and internal purposes.
Films invited to participate in the BSIFF will be shown in the section determined most appropriate by Festival programmers, at their sole discretion. So, they are no longer choosing their own categories?
Unless otherwise agreed by the Festival in writing, awards will be given to the winning film director (as identified in the Film Information Form) on behalf of the film (except for Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Editing) and will be fulfilled approximately 12-30 weeks after the closing date of the BSIFF
Award eligibility is subject to any restrictions or conditions imposed by applicable laws and regulations (international, federal, state or otherwise), and the award recipient is responsible for all applicable taxes, customs, tariffs, insurance and similar charges or costs (if any).
Award Categories for BSIFF include:
- Best Documentary Film: A non-fiction film of any length about real events and people, often transcending traditional narrative structures. Documentary [is] the creative treatment of reality
- Best Feature Film: A film based on a fictional script that employs actors. Length more than 60 minutes and up to 120' mins.
- Best Short Fiction Film: The film must be less than 60 min.
- Best Student Film (The Inspire Award): This category is set to award student filmmakers thus, the film must be made entirely by students and without financial or technical support from broadcasters or production houses.. Evidence of a student card and an email confirmation from the Head of the department is a must and must be submitted to the Festival at the time of submission in order for the film to qualify.
- Best Women in Film: Film must have a predominantly female crew. Any three of the Producer, directors, cinematographers, and/or Writers must be women. Proof of this must be submitted to the Festival at time of submission.
- Best Animated Film: An animated film of any length from any part of the world.
- Best African Film (The Black Star Award): A film that connects to the special story of Africa (not sure what this means) and stories that highlight special issues? peculiar to the continent of Africa. Films must have a predominantly African crew. Any three of the Producer, directors, cinematographers, and/or Writers must be Africans. Proof of this must be submitted to the Festival at time of submission.
- :The 'Odehye3': To recognize the next generation of Ghanaian filmmakers. Films must have predominantly Ghanaian crew. Either the Producer, Director, Cinematographer, and/or Writer must be Ghanaian. Proof of this must be submitted to the Festival at time of submission.
- Best Music Video: To recignize music videos worldwide that have strong story-telling, conceptualization, and film production. We accept music video submissions from all over the world. Music Videos must be under 10 minutes and from any year? regardless of budget, popularity, or language. Subtitles?
Our partners include TV stations, distributors and platforms. Please indicate on the Submission form if you would like your film to be considered for any of the above opportunities and indicate the rights available.
*The above listed awards are from the Black Star International Film Festival, and are subject to change by the Festival in its sole discretion.*
All Press kits, links and MP4s (when required) must be sent to:
WhatsApp or call +233 506481853 for further enquiries.